Skip to main content

Game Theory Part 1: Character Creation

OK so, where should I start here?
I promised an article about game theory and I am damn sure I'm going to deliver!
(rereading this article I realized this is pretty narrative and lecturey. So if your bored, I apologies)

I like to dabble in game theory. And by game theory I am of course referring to how role playing games are played. I don't necessarily mean mechanics either.
I guess I should start with character creation as that's where players start right?

Players should create their characters with interesting and unique ideas that pertain to the setting and campaign of the game. I highly suggest, and in fact require now in my games, that players create their characters together when starting a new game. Players should be encouraged to engage in discussion about each others ideas of their characters which would allow cohesion and more immersion in the game. When creating your character's background, you should try to implement something from the setting into your character's history.

When creating your character you should try implementing something called a kicker (taken from the game Sorcerer). A kicker is: "...an event or realization that your character has experienced just before play begins. It catalyzes him or her into action of some sort." I suggest that this experience or realization should be culminated between everyone at the gaming table. Your DM/GM probably already does this, but what I'm suggesting is that you should give the players a shot at it. Let them narrate the start of the game. They should combine their kickers so that the first actions are ones that bring their characters together.

Further, a character should have interesting unresolved points throughout their background that could spark "adventure". (I use the term "adventure" lightly because not all games are about adventure.) These points are called "bangs". Again, defined by Sorcerer originally: "those moments when the characters realize they have a problem right now and have to get moving to deal with it." This realization should come from a conflict of interest for the character. Such as the classic heroic example of: Does the hero save his one and true love or save a multitude of innocent people?

As a DM/GM, you have more control over these bangs on when they arrive in play, but as a player these bangs should be given as options to your DM/GM to enhance the play experience. And as a player, these bangs need to deal with those conflicts so even a no action reaction still has consequences.

Something else to consider when creating a character is setting goals. Character goals are different from game goals (and yes I think games should have goals). A character should have multiple goals. If he/she doesn't have any goals then why is he/she on the adventure? That's boring! If your character is already the most power wizard what is she doing here? A character should have short term and long term goals. A short term goal may be something like saving the local village from ravaging orcs, but his long term goal may be ridding the land of all orcs. But, his long term and short term goals don't have to coincide. In fact it may be even more interesting (and entertaining) to have conflicting goals. Also, a long term goal should have small victories within the goal so that the player and the character can feel as though they are accomplishing their goal. He/She should have many achievable goals, and may be even one non-achievable goal. An unachievable goal maybe something like becoming the highlander; "There can be only one!"(though, that in itself sounds like a really cool game!)

Along with character goals, a player should help create party goals for the group of players (if its a cooperative game). Party goals should be something that everyone buys into, and something that each character would want to do. However, you could have one or more characters have their party goal(s) be conflicting with their own personal goals. "The big bad evil guy is actually the character's father! ::gasp::"

That's all for now folks! I'll come back with Part 2 tomorrow!

For more info and insight on RPG theory, a great podcast that I started listening to about a year ago or so is http://www.sonsofkryos.com/ . They do a about weekly podcast dedicated playing RPGs. Another podcast I came across is http://havegameswilltravel.libsyn.com/ . This a one man show where he talks about games in general.
Sorcerer was written by Ron Edwards. http://www.sorcerer-rpg.com/

Comments

Unknown said…
I think the importance of character goals is dependent on the campaign. In some games, it's not important what the character wants to do, particularly if the DM is railroading you. In fact, some times it can become detrimental, especially when the dread excuse, "But my character wouldn't do that!", comes into play.

Otherwise, pretty solid post!
MK said…
But what about background generators? wouldn't those be a usfull tool in fleshing out a character before the game begins?
Casey said…
To MK: If you all agreed and the GM said thats what he wanted to do, then yes a background generator would work. that is, if the game was going to be based around those results.

To Arsenic: It falls back to the first ooint of discussing what type of game was going to be played. If you were really trying to create a character for the campaign (and the DM wasn't a dick) then your character goals should align with the campaign. As to the "My character wouldn't do that" excuse, well thats a whole blog in itself. Maybe I'll make that part of part 2.

Popular posts from this blog

Game Theory Part 2

Here's some real conversation for your ass Roles What is a role in regards to role playing games? What roles do you play? Which roles transcend your character and your group? Be aware of the roles in your group. Well, a role describes the type of actions that a character would take in regards to other people in the party. But, it also describes the type of actions that a person takes in regards to a gaming group. Roles divide up the tasks that need to be completed for success. I think roles are something that you should be aware of, but you don't necessarily need to assign. I do think that if you see that someone is always the group organizer or leader, for instance, you should ask them whether or not they enjoy that post and if they would like to try something else. Its natural to lean towards one role to play in character because its a role you normally take outside of the game. What role do you tend to play? Besides game roles, there are other ways to help your group that I

Steer away from these rocks

So I'm sitting here at work realizing I'm not going to be here for much longer. Like 4 days. Less than that technicly. Ok, well...I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm sort of a mixed bag of emotions: excited, scared, contemplative, nervous, closed off, even a little ashamed. Whats that about? On to some fun stuff. I'm getting more and more excited about the release of 4th edition D&D and the consaquent start of Steven and my's new campaign. I think we have some great ideas. I must say Steve is the driving force with his ability write so well. He's like the dart board and I the dart thrower. I just throw ideas at him and see where they land. We ran our actual first game together last Wendesday. A thrown together idea of a Star Wars game, the premise of which Steve came up with and we put together in about an hour. I was more along there for the ride as he knows much more about Star Wars than I do. I like Star Wars, but Steve loves it. Th