Skip to main content

Game Theory Part 2

Here's some real conversation for your ass


Roles

What is a role in regards to role playing games? What roles do you play? Which roles transcend your character and your group?

Be aware of the roles in your group.

Well, a role describes the type of actions that a character would take in regards to other people in the party. But, it also describes the type of actions that a person takes in regards to a gaming group. Roles divide up the tasks that need to be completed for success. I think roles are something that you should be aware of, but you don't necessarily need to assign. I do think that if you see that someone is always the group organizer or leader, for instance, you should ask them whether or not they enjoy that post and if they would like to try something else. Its natural to lean towards one role to play in character because its a role you normally take outside of the game.

What role do you tend to play?

Besides game roles, there are other ways to help your group that I'll touch on briefly. For instance, ask yourself this: Who normally calls the group to get everyone together? Who normally gets food that everyone likes? Who normally takes notes for the game session or is the map maker? Who normally makes the witty comments? (In my group its everyone...) Who normally gets things back on track to the game?

From Benne and Sheats [1]research, several roles which relate to the completion of the group's task:

Initiator-contributor: Generates new ideas.
Information-seeker: Asks for information about the task.
Opinion-seeker: Asks for the input from the group about its values.
Information-giver: Offers facts or generalization to the group.
Opinion-giver: States his or her beliefs about a group issue.
Elaborator: Explains ideas within the group, offers examples to clarify ideas.
Coordinator: Shows the relationships between ideas.
Orienter: Shifts the direction of the group's discussion.
Evaluator-critic: Measures group's actions against some objective standard.
Energizer: Stimulates the group to a higher level of activity.
Procedural-technician: Performs logistical functions for the group.
Recorder: Keeps a record of group actions.


As you can see these can all easily relate to role playing. Of course you can have one person be in more than one role at at time as well.

That's all for this post. Part three coming up (sorry part two was late, all two of you that read this)

[1]Benne, Kenneth, & Sheats, Paul. (1948). Functional roles of group members. Journal of Social Issues, 4, 41-49

Comments

MK said…
It's short.....I think you could have done so much more with this post. For instance, you named roles but didn't really explain them. What does the map maker really do? Is that all they do, or do they use the map as a way to guide the party? etc. Just seemed like there could be more. Good Subject though!
Unknown said…
My goodness, look at you with your referencing!

I find that I almost always wind up the Leader in most role-playing groups. Probably because I talk the loudest. Also, I know what I want done, and work to achieve my goals. Most of the people in our group just kind of "go with the flow", so to speak, and so any player with some sense of direction is gradually accepted as the leader.

I agree that you could have expounded a bit more on the different roles within your standard role-playing groups.
Casey said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Casey said…
I know. I was a bit lazy today. I could have even gone into the ways that groups communicate using these roles and what not, but its not my favorite subject to deal with on games. Maybe I'll add those ideas on at a later date.
sosee24 said…
I am in love with this blog, because this is what fascinates me about gaming...and it's exactly the kind of stuff I love to study and discuss... Maybe I will set up a blog for all you gaming phenes to respond to my questions! Oooooo.... ****rushing off to open a new browser page and immediately create new blog/forum/wiki!!!

And PS> yeah I was impressed with your referencing to traditional comm. group theory material! I may have to plagiarize this blog in an upcoming research paper. Thanks in advance :)
This is a great post! I don't think you needed to define the roles because this is actually an example of a much larger issue that has plagued human society for 1000s of years. That’s right…the details of the roles and the ones essential for a group might change but their need never goes away. Companies spend thousands and thousands of dollars and man-hours (believe me…I know…) to try to figure out how to get their employees to work with better group dynamics, increase productivity, etc. A D&D group is no different. The thing I find very interesting after going through all the training at my company (which sosee24 might also feel from what she’s learned in her classes) is that people get together in groups and try to get stuff done all the time without having tried to define any of this up front. Most of the time this doesn’t end up very well…everyone manages to come together as a group but an essential role is neglected or a goal isn’t clearly defined and everyone ends up milling around and leaving somewhat dissatisfied because they weren’t able to achieve what they were expecting to achieve. Luckily, there is always room fro improvement from this perspective. I’ve helped run two Lessons Learned programs at my company where we analyzed a completed project and came up with a way of improving the system so that it would run smoothly in the future. That might be fun to do too!
sosee24, let me know if you want to do a LL exercise with me some time. It’s fun, and useful!

Popular posts from this blog

Game Theory Part 1: Character Creation

OK so, where should I start here? I promised an article about game theory and I am damn sure I'm going to deliver! (rereading this article I realized this is pretty narrative and lecturey . So if your bored, I apologies) I like to dabble in game theory. And by game theory I am of course referring to how role playing games are played. I don't necessarily mean mechanics either. I guess I should start with character creation as that's where players start right? Players should create their characters with interesting and unique ideas that pertain to the setting and campaign of the game. I highly suggest, and in fact require now in my games, that players create their characters together when starting a new game. Players should be encouraged to engage in discussion about each others ideas of their characters which would allow cohesion and more immersion in the game. When creating your character's background, you should try to implement something from the setting into your cha

Steer away from these rocks

So I'm sitting here at work realizing I'm not going to be here for much longer. Like 4 days. Less than that technicly. Ok, well...I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm sort of a mixed bag of emotions: excited, scared, contemplative, nervous, closed off, even a little ashamed. Whats that about? On to some fun stuff. I'm getting more and more excited about the release of 4th edition D&D and the consaquent start of Steven and my's new campaign. I think we have some great ideas. I must say Steve is the driving force with his ability write so well. He's like the dart board and I the dart thrower. I just throw ideas at him and see where they land. We ran our actual first game together last Wendesday. A thrown together idea of a Star Wars game, the premise of which Steve came up with and we put together in about an hour. I was more along there for the ride as he knows much more about Star Wars than I do. I like Star Wars, but Steve loves it. Th